Wednesday 16 March 2016

Update

Precursor to this post: I am on Tylenol 3 right now, so if I don't make sense or am giving too much information, I'm blaming it on the drugs! 

 At 2 months Tyson is loving life.
The most awesome dad ever!!!


Well the past few months have been a challenge. Having my 6th child at the beginning of January has been such a blessing, but also hard. Having postpartum depression is difficult enough, but add on 5 children and 1 small baby, it has been crazy. I have been so blessed though with wonderful friends, an amazing husband, and an incredible mother, who has literally saved me many days. It is difficult for me to ask for help, but over this period of time I am slowly becoming more comfortable with it. I used to think that asking made me weak (and sometimes I still do), but mostly now I know it means I'm smart not to try and do everything by myself. 


 Cole was awesome!
 Before
After


Almost 3 weeks ago Cole had his tonsils and adenoids removed. He was such a trooper and did amazing. The recovery was pretty good, there were a few nights where I forgot to wake him up to give him his medicine and he woke up in so much pain. Poor guy. I felt really bad! 

Well now it was my turn. Yesterday I had my tonsils removed and that was such a weird experience. I have to tell you that leading up to this surgery I was pretty nervous. Not nervous that they couldn't do it or something bad would happen, but scared to be put under. Keep in mind I have never had surgery of any kind, not even a broken bone, and definitely not been put to sleep. Jay gave me a blessing that morning of peace and comfort and that helped me as I was wheeled into the operating room. Side note: I actually thought that you get put to sleep by the mask they put on you, turns out that this is only oxygen you breathe. They actually put you to sleep through your IV. I remember my head and eyes getting really heavy and I can remember saying "I'm trying to stay awake", but obviously I couldn't. The next thing I remember is waking up in a recovery area. Even though I could barely open my eyes (actually I think my eyes were closed for a good while when I woke up) I tried to sit up in my bed over and over again. The nurse kept getting mad at me and asking me "why are you trying to sit up, lay down." I could tell she was annoyed that I kept sitting up. I also tried to say things, but couldn't because my throat was so sore. The nurse told me "I can't hear you, I can't help you if you don't speak up." That made me mad because, duh, I couldn't speak up I just had my tonsils removed and I hurt. Finally she got the picture I was in pain and gave me more morphine. She actually ended up giving me multiple doses because I was in so much pain I was crying, which the nurse promptly told me to stop doing because it only made it worse. 
This part is hilarious. I remember getting the nurses attention after a while and she came over and I told her, though my tears, that I was sorry for sitting up and for crying. For some reason I felt so bad about it all. Obviously the morphine talking, cause in reality I should have yelled at her for being so mean to me.


Anyway, once they wheeled me back to my small room where I stayed for about 4 hours after, I was happier. I still felt as though I couldn't open my eyes and my head felt so heavy that every time I moved it, it would flop to one side or the other. Really annoying! Jay tried to help by putting something beside my head but it didn't really help and I just had to deal with it. By that time I was so tired I didn't really care anymore. I had an IV in so I was getting quite a bit of fluid in me without having to drink much. Thus, I made bathroom runs about every half hour (well it felt like it). Jay had to help me out in there because I couldn't really see normal yet and I was light headed and it was hard to walk. What a great husband!!!

Made it home that afternoon and tried to sleep. I'm waking up every couple of hours to go to the bathroom because I'm trying to drink an abnormal amount of water to help my throat heal. I'm also on Tylenol 3, which I am keeping on top of because even with it my pain is still there. One really weird thing is that you know the hanging down thing at the back of your mouth? I think it's called your uvula. It's nice and swollen right now, so any time I sleep on my back it kind of flips back and forth as I breathe. Therefore sleeping on my side is my only option right now, which isn't that big of a deal since I've been doing that for 9 months anyway. 
The doctors say that over the next couple of days it will get a little more sore and then around day 7-9 it will be really tender again as the scabs fluff off and the sores are exposed again. Yikes, not looking forward to that, but I am looking forward to no more strep throat or abscesses in my throat. 
I am looking forward to summer and hopefully not being as eventful as this winter and spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment